Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Turning Point

One of the best things about the Boulder area is the proximity to good rock. You can easily climb at a huge number of different areas after work and good options exist for single or multipitch trad, bouldering and sport. However, when it's 95 degrees out it's just not fun to go climbing. To get around this, Brock and I headed up to the Satellite Boulders last night. Temps were pretty close to perfect around 11p with low humidity and a great breeze to keep the skin dry. Needless to say, there were no crowds either.

I'd never been up to the Satellites before, but it was a fun area and I look forward to going back in the daylight and being able to see beyond my headlamp once things cool off.

We warmed up on some easy, fun slab problems on the Sputnik Boulder and then a bit more warming up on the A7 boulder before heading up to the BBC boulder and the nights main objective, The Turning Point (V8).

A fun V1 or V2 on the A7 boulder
We both put a good amount of work in to The Turning Point and after quite a while we worked out some good beta for the opening moves and I was eventually able to do all the moves. Eventually I did the problem in 3 overlapping sections. This is a great problem worthy of 3 or 4 stars and is pretty close to the limit of my ability at this point. I was super psyched to do all the moves and can't wait to get back up there and work on linking it up.

Definitely check out the high quality version of the video below to see women and children far stronger than I make this problem look good. I didn't use the same beta as seen in the video for a single move on the problem, great problem for all heights!




No comments:

Post a Comment