Sunday, July 4, 2010

Chaos Canyon Bouldering

Yesterday I went up to Chaos Canyon with a few people to do some bouldering. I had never been up there before and it turned out to be a pretty good day. It's definitely an awesome setting for a day outside, but unless you climb harder than I do, it's probably not an area you'd want to visit a lot.

Great views of Glacier Gorge and Longs Peak on the hike in.
Lake Haiyaha and Upper Chaos, taken from atop the Gobot Boulder
The strong people were out in force yesterday as well. We saw Chuck Fryberger, Brion Voges, John Gass, John Cardwell, Daniel Woods, Carlo Traversi, Dave Graham and others up there. Carlo was headed up the trail as we headed down and he apparently had a very productive afternoon by himself. Being a V6 climber in Colorado is a bit like running a 5 minute mile at the Olympics, it's pretty good for the average person, but the other participants consider it a warmup.

I'm not sure when I'll be heading back up to that area. Definitely a spectacular setting and well worth the visit, but if I really want to climb a lot I need an area with more moderates.

No comments:

Post a Comment