Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Perfect Day in the Boulder Bubble

Beautiful weather here in CO today! I got outside for my first real hike of the year. I decided on Bear Peak and South Boulder Peak via Shadow Canyon. This is one of my favorite hikes in the Boulder area. It starts out at the South Mesa trail head and follows either the Towhee of Homestead trail toward the base of Shadow Canyon. After the steep canyon just head left to South Boulder Peak and then right to Bear Peak. It's a great hike, but a bit crowded on a nice weekend day. Total distance is about 7.5 miles and the total elevation gain is around 3,000 ft.

As I said, this was my first real hike of the year so I took it pretty easy and just enjoyed the great weather. I was particularly happy that I didn't feel any trouble from my IT Band which gave me problems most of last summer.

On the way down I couldn't help thinking about what a perfect day it was and that it would be difficult  to find anywhere I'd enjoy living more than Boulder, Colorado.

View from the parking lot.

The Devil's Thumb from Shadow Canyon

Bear Peak from South Boulder Peak

Mt. Evans in the distance

Longs Peak in the distance

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous photos Doug! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to beat the Bubble on the right day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Peter: Agreed, sounds like you enjoyed the "Battle in the Bubble" too. I had to choose climbing myself over watching a comp, but I can't wait to see highlights.

    ReplyDelete