Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Getting back in the game

This past weekend I decided my IT band had rested long enough and it was time to test it out a bit. The truth is I've been too busy to do much anyway, but moving in to a 3rd floor apartment has probably been a decent workout by itself.

Anyway, I decided to get on the treadmill in the workout room at our apartment complex. I figured this would be a good way to feel things out while allowing the option of stopping at any time without a long walk back to a trailhead.

I ended up doing about 2 miles of mostly easy running/jogging plus one hard mile in the middle. I had basically no pain, just a couple minor twinges. Things felt good enough that I did a similar routine tonight. I'm not having any pain, but it does feel a bit tight/stiff so I'm keeping up with the ice and stretching, but I'm cautiously optimistic for now. I think it's going to be a while before I'm back up to 10+ mile trail runs, but 2-3 miles on the treadmill is a good first step.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find out I'm still in pretty decent shape despite my 2 or 3 weeks without much running/hiking. On Saturday I did a 6 minute mile and today I did a 5:30 mile, but I think that was wind aided since the AC vent was behind me. I'm not sure how the treadmill stacks up against running on a track as far as difficulty, but for now I'm pleased with that. Despite the monotony of running while staring at a wall, it's kind of cool to be able to exactly control your pace and effort and see an immediate measure of your fitness. I haven't really done this since I ran track and cross country in high school.

For now my plan is to ease back into things and up the mileage very slowly. Hopefully over the next several weeks I'll keep feeling better and be back to normal sometime in September.

3 comments:

  1. 5:30 mile?! You're ridiculous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I heard those AC vents work just like rocket jet packs if they're blowing on you right. You cheater...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it!
    You'll be back out there real soon.
    DSD

    ReplyDelete