Wednesday, July 22, 2009

ITBS

So I went to see a physical therapist today and as I thought, I have ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome). This basically means no hiking or running for a while. I need to cut out any activity that's causing me pain right now and then slowly ease back into things.

In a few days, if I don't have any pain, I'm supposed to try walking forwards and backwards on a slightly inclined treadmill, gradually increasing speed and distance. I've also got stretches to do and a foam roller to help stretch out and massage the IT band. I've been icing at least twice a day and that seems to have helped quite a bit so far.

I tried out the foam roller last night, and as I've heard, it's pretty damn painful. It kind of feels like I've just been punched in the thigh really hard, but the pain just keeps coming as long as you're on the roller.

Hopefully things will go well and I can start doing some lighter running/hiking in a couple weeks, but I'd love to hear suggestions from other people who might have had this problem in the past. Also, I've found that these sites have a lot more information:
itbs.info
sportsinjurybulletin.com

2 comments:

  1. From running Longs to physical therapy? Sorry to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, just when I felt like I was really starting to get into good running shape too. Hopefully I can get healed up in a matter of a couple weeks instead of months though. Time will tell...

    ReplyDelete