Thursday, July 23, 2009

First Flatiron

I thought I should get a climbing post up here before people start to think all I do is hike/run, which I can't even do until my IT band calms down. So, I went to my photo library and ... the photo evidence shows that I don't actually climb. Ever.

I think a lot of other climbers have this problem too. When I'm climbing, I'm either on the rock, spotting, or belaying about 90% of the time, so I usually don't even bother to bring a camera. The only photos I have on my computer from a semi-recent climbing trip are from the Direct East Face (5.6) of the First Flatiron here in Boulder so that's what you're getting.

3rd, 2nd and 1st Flatirons in winter


Now, just because these are the only photos I have doesn't mean this it's not worth sharing them. This is one of THE classic routes in the Flatirons. It's 7-10 pitches of perfect stone, most of them about 5.4, accompanied by spectacular views of Boulder.

The view of Boulder


There are even a couple pitches which traverse up the north ridge and give views of the snow capped peaks to the west.

The continental divide to the west


The only real draw back is the shear number of people on the route, but on a weekday evening things are usually pretty good. In fact, I did this climb on Sunday, May 3rd and didn't run into anyone else on the route. Not bad for the weekend. If you live in or visit Boulder, you should try to do this climb. Some people think it's boring, but I think it's one of the best.

View to the north


3rd Flatiron to the south

3 comments:

  1. I noticed the same thing from the first 7 years I climbed so I've tried my best to take more pictures. I do have a couple of grainy pictures of Dave sending Harvest though.

    Now I just make Amy climb without a spotter so I can get pictures. She loves this plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think I'm going to have to make more of an effort to take pictures. I've got a ton of 4x6 prints of old pics from the Red and a CO trip in 2003, but almost nothing digital.

    Since my wife doesn't climb she can just be the full time photographer from now on. She'll also love this plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting article, added his blog to Favorites

    ReplyDelete